Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is designed for project managers, department heads, and other practising middle managers. Develop your skills and experience, improve your performance and prepare for senior management responsibilities.
Results for you
- Use core management techniques to drive better results
- Develop your ability to lead, motivate and inspire
- Provide strategic leadership as well as day-to-day management
- Benchmark your managerial skills
- Raise your profile in your organisation
Impact for your employer
- Encourage strategic thinking at this level of management, to foster business improvement
- Engage middle managers with training and development – this qualification is designed to provide clear, measurable benefits to career-minded professionals
- Customise this qualification to your development needs
Focus on the skills you need
This qualification is available as a concise Award, a broader Certificate or a very comprehensive Diploma. Each unit in this qualification focuses on a specific set of skills and knowledge, in six broad areas:
- Working with people – a range of units including how to deal effectively with stress and conflict, manage remote workers, build excellent customer relations
- Managing yourself and personal skills – including units that focus on assessing your own leadership performance, and developing critical thinking
- Providing direction – such as leading teams to achieve organisational goals and objectives, and making strong and informed management decisions
- Facilitating innovation and change – for example, build a culture of continued improvement, and lead people through change
- Achieving results – such as managing for efficiency and effectiveness, and managing projects that get results
- Using resources – including managing facilities and managing information
Work with your employer or training provider to find the units that best fit your individual and organisational requirements.
Where Level 5 Fits on the Framework
Knowing – key competencies
Good understanding of the key principles of effective leadership and management, information analysis and synthesis, people and performance management skills; plus an awareness of key issues in other functional areas (HR, Marketing, Finance, Operations, R&D).
Doing – able to
- Provide departmental/divisional leadership; plan, manage, and monitor operations; lead change projects; develop people and resources to maximise operational effectiveness; monitor performance and control budgets.
- Encourage innovation and improvement, set goals and delegate tasks to direct reports, communicate with teams and manage risks
Being – demonstrated by
Managers who are aware of their values and how others’ values shapes their behaviour. They use their experience to understand their reactions to others and can make effective decisions. They have the ability to manage their own workloads efficiently and can coach and manage multiple staff effectively.
Back to ILM Leadership